Tuesday, September 16, 2008

by order summer lingers through September . . .

Last week moved along quite briskly, with a few ridiculous highlights punctuating my relatively humdrum existence.

Last Saturday, I went into work as usual, having heard rumors of an intense former hurricane coming the way of Philadelphia. I figured it wouldn't really affect me so much since I work inside and my walk to work isn't that bad. Needless to say, I went out after work to meet someone only a few blocks (maybe 6 or 7) away, and almost blew away. Like actually, I felt like Almira Gultch again. Only not on stage, and minus that amazing ruffled shirt I got to wear. Anyway, dinner at Fuji Mountain was amazing -- I totally recommend it for those in Philly. But I can't remember the last time I was that overwhelmed by the weather. Oh wait, yes I can -- remember when it snowed 3 ft at Brandeis? ... that was similarly overwhelming.

The next day I woke up to a frighteningly idyllic day (especially in comparison to the previous one) -- I went to the ACAJE (jewish educators) Supplementary School conference at KI in Elkins Park. It was an okay morning, lots of chatting with Beth Or people and Or Ami people and stuff life that. Definitely nice to see my old teachers now that I've been away from Beth Or a while and have some distance from it, but I'm also really glad that I'm not teaching there -- I think it'd be too weird. Maybe at some point in the future, but for now, I'm loving Or Ami. Anyway, my first session on different types of learners was nice but rather typical, and I didn't feel like I got anything new out of it. The second session on the other hand was wonderful -- it was led by Ellen Walters, who was my 3rd grade Hebrew school teacher, and who is one of those master teachers that everyone should learn from. Anyway, the session was on giving early elementary kids a set of problem solving tools and empowering them to think through their own problems -- definitely some food for thought there.

I did have one moment where I felt really uncomfortable at the conference -- I saw Michelle Shapiro, whose husband gave us Harley when they moved to an apartment and couldn't have a dog -- anyway, she asked how Harley was, and I had to tell her that he passed away and the whole awful story and it was just miserable. I'm really fine about it, it's not like I'm still missing my dog like a crazy person 8 months later, but there's something awful about having to talk about something when you're not expecting to have to.

Anyway, after ACAJE, I dropped the car off in Jenkintown and took the train into Philly, which was wonderful because I got to see Jackieeee :) (and the elder Ms. Feinberg as well :) ). It was so great great great to see her before she took off for the land of kilts and haggis, and we had a beautiful afternoon of wandering around in the sun, playing in South St. and checking out the decidedly wonderful GreenFest. goodtimes had by all. Note to self: the key to happiness = eating more Maoz falafel.

The rest of the week was pretty uneventful. Highlights included:
- an accidental and unfortunate addiction to that stupid secret life of an American teenager show. it's like a train wreck. i can't stop myself from watching.
- a chat with Skrevsky on the phone!!!!
- the pronouncement by Bubbie Ethel that "I'd rather have Newt Gingrich than that awful Sarah Palin woman." This may not seem remarkable to you, but considering Bubbie's previous history with Mr. Gingrich, I was shocked (in 1994, she repeatedly threw pillows at his image on C-SPAN while stuck in bed due to heart troubles. 8-year-old me was mildly frightened, and grew up thinking that Newt Gingrich was the devil).

No comments: