Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A New Mix "Tape" -- the Buck Up, Bucko! mix


I've fallen in love with a new song over the past few weeks, thanks to the generous iPod sharing of one Matt S. I won't share how many times I've listened to it on repeat, because frankly, it's embarrassing. The song, in case you're wondering, is "Sing Happy," featured in Flora the Red Menace, a Kander and Ebb show I have yet to see. Take a listen here!

As ridiculous as it is that I've listened to it so much, it did inspire something absolutely wonderful: a new Rachel Mix!

For those of you unaware, Rachel Mixs' are the musical theater equivalent of a bad case of whiplash -- I dump all the songs I'm excited about at a given moment into one glorious amalgamation of ridiculous, burn it into a CD, and into my car/iPod it goes! Sometimes, I make a theme and just go with it -- like the famous Sarah K-Rachel G. collaboration "Beltin' Broadway Babes," or my recent excellent "Old Lady Songs" mix.


Anyway, this theme was inspired by the song Sing Happy. I'm calling it the "Buck Up, Bucko Mix: Songs Guaranteed to Get You Going When You're Down." It's kind of like my version of Barney Stimson's "Get Psyched" mix -- all rise. Here are the songs, in no particular order (I hate ordering songs, but love making mixes. This may explain why mixes are sometimes semi-heinous) :


Sing Happy (Flora the Red Menace)
Defying Gravity (Wicked)
Some People (Gypsy)
I Believe in You (How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying)
Big Girls Don't Cry (Jersey Boys)
Go Go Go Joseph (Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat)
Forget about the Boy (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
I Whistle a Happy Tune (The King and I)
We Need a Little Christmas (Mame)
Many a New Day (Oklahoma)
Without You (My Fair Lady)
The World Will Know (Newsies)
I Know It's Today (Shrek the Musical)
A Cock-eyed Optimist (South Pacific)
There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This (Sweet Charity)
I've Gotta Crow (Peter Pan)
Don't Rain on My Parade (Funny Girl)

Any songs I should have included but didn't? Any songs that definitely shouldn't be on there?

I'm already listening to it on repeat! Hooray!

1 comment:

David said...

Even before reading your playlist, I managed to guess more than half the songs on your list. I like you.

~DBass