Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Short Ode to the wonderfulness that is Glee

It's like they opened up my brain and took all my favorite things in the world and put them in one show. And it really is. I love the corny plot, the oversized, ridiculous characters, and the glorification of musical theater. Clearly, Sue Sylvester's militant cheerleader coach is my favorite: you can't beat lines like this:
"Here I am, about to turn 30, and I’ve sacrificed everything , only to be Shanghaied by the bi-curious machinations of a cabal of doughy misshape teens."

Other things I love about Glee:
1. the entire jewish themed episode about Noah Puckerman, who is a. gorgeous, and b. a fabulous character, and c. should be singing more often. Great article about the jewishness here, thanks to Jonathan for sending it.
2. every time Will Schuster starts dancing. and singing. his acting usually makes me annoyed, but the rest is so lovely that I don't mind at all. also, SO sad I didn't see him in South Pacific
3. Mercedes. I think she might be my favorite. no question, this: is my favorite moment in the series so far. I bought the song on its own as soon as it came out on iTunes, and, according to my play count, I've listened to it 23 times since.


4. KRISTEN CHENOWETH. no further explanation is necessary, but I'll add that she should be tipsy all the time. also, 'Alone' was so cute
5. I love that they've made Will Schuster's wife such a caricature of a human being; I feel free to despise her and can spend all of my Glee-watching energy loving Emma, who sang "I Could have Danced All Night" while swirling and looking like a deer caught in headlights. That's just impressive.
6. any show that extols the virtues of musical theater is a-okay with me. any show that references Barbra Streisand in the second episode is golden forever.

To honor my vigorous love for the wonderfulness that is Glee, I just bought the soundtrack, and have been bopping around my room happily ever since. I really feel like this is going to be my favorite soundtrack for the next 6 months. At least.

No comments: