Monday, August 22, 2011

My Crush on America: the Pretty, the Historical, the Friend-ly, and the Huge!

I officially have a crush on the United States of America (but not in a worrisome, nationalistic way). I’ve been going around saying that for the past three weeks since Miriam and I finished our epic Road Trip across the country, but it’s still true. Want to know why? I’ll tell you.

1. America is PRETTY.

We saw the greatest sunset ever, in the most unexpected place (ever): Salina, KS!

We saw some of the prettiest rain (yes, rain can be pretty, too!) in Santa Fe -- there was a rain storm in FRONT of us, but we weren't in it, so we could take pictures from the side.

Yes, the photo below is of an entire field FULL of sunflowers. This happened multiple times throughout Kansas. How could that not be a wonderful state? Yes, the picture next to it is of clouds -- we ended up identifying the shapes of a bunch of clouds throughout the trip, but these were my favorites, because they looked like writing!

2. America is HISTORICAL.

The first bit of history we got on the trip was some family history for me, when we visited Bexley, Ohio, the section of Columbus where Miriam’s Aunt lived and where my mom and her siblings grew up!

My other favorite bit of history was the Truman Presidential Library in Independence, Missouri. Truman has been one of my favorite historical figures since high school, and I've been talking about visiting Independence since then. (For your reference, current Other Favorites include Teddy Roosevelt, Alexander Hamilton, Henry Clay, and James K Polk). Needless to say, I was VERY excited to go and learn, and the museum did not disappoint -- it was beautifully curated, and really moving at parts (there were great sections on the recognition of Israel, the Cold War, and civil rights), and I left feeling decidedly patriotic in the not-cheesy way.

America contains not-seen-enough friends.

I am one of those people who really likes all of my favorite people gathered in one place at all times. This is, of course, not particularly realistic, but it makes me a little sad sometimes. One of the best things about the road trip is that I got to see Seth, Stacy, Hilary, and Mat (who met us in LA), and got to meet Beni and Tyler, Miriam and Hilary's boyfriends!

Most wonderfully, this trip was a chance to spend hours and hours talking with my friend Miriam, who I see Nowhere Near Enough. We got to be ridiculous and silly and loud and just have a lot of fun catching up. I wish I could have a week off to do that with all of the people who are important to me.

America is HUGE

During our trip, I kept being reminded of one of my favorite Douglas Adams quotes:

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may thing it's a long way down the road to the chemists, but that's just peanuts to space.

So America is clearly not THAT big. But it is big enough that we drove over 3,100 miles, for seven days, over 12 states (four of which were new for me). That's crazy! Check out the awesome Foursquare-generated map of everywhere we stopped:

Stay tuned for Other Reasons I have a Crush on America -- hints: it's science-y, yummy, and musical theater-y!

No comments: