Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Hello, Salem! my name's Winnifred, what's yours?

Halloween has never been my holiday. Without a doubt, it is one of the holidays that Mommy Mona does the best -- not a year goes by without some new Halloween decoration, and the tradition of precariously-placing-pumpkins-above the shelf in the family room has become somehow a comforting seasonal ritual, even if I worry that Alli will fall everytime. In fact, Mona is so good at Halloween that she has three or four large tupperware 20 or 30 gallon bins full of the decorations for it. In college, I got a care package every year around Halloween time full of orange socks and bat garlands and pumpkin candy -- you name it, she did it.

I've had some good costumes over the years -- the clock and the Chiquita Banana girl were particular favorites. But since college, I've become more enamored with Purim -- it seems like I always have a wonderful time and Purim at Brandeis is second only to Simchat Torah at Brandeis (which consistently ranks as one of my top five favorite things about college). I met my first boyfriend on Purim, my best friend Prisco surprise-visited me on a Purim, and it always feels like a magical day to me.

That being said, the last Purim I experienced was just after I moved to DC, and while very nice (I was with D-kup and Fenster at Adas Israel), it felt like such a pale imitation of Brandeis-ness that I couldn't help but being disappointed. Needless to say, I didn't have high expectations for Simchat Torah -- this turned out to be silly, because I had a perfectly lovely evening at DC Minyan with Suzy and Sarah G, and got to spend time with lovely deis people as well.

Which brings us back to Halloween. Again -- not usually my holiday, since I've convinced myself that Purim is IT, but I ended up having a greatgreatgreat time anyway. I went to Janae's (friend of friends who I went to West Virginia with) lovely apartment, which was decorated even better than Mona would (can you imagine such a thing?!) for a potluck/party before going out. Most people were superhero or villain themed -- I was the devil, and Will, who came with me, was a Starbucks barista (which everyone declared the most important superhero of all, really). Janae is a FABULOUS cook, and made sweet potato casserole and red velvet cake (it was her birthday too!) and lots of other lovely things. I brought a momma-made pumpkin bread.

Anyway, that was fun times, but I really had a great night once we went out dancing. Somehow, I've managed to live in DC for 9 months and not go dancing once. I've been to lots of bar and happy hours, but no dancing. Luckily, I made up for all of that in one night of Halloween-wonderfulness. Bailey plotted out the whole evening the night before, and we went dancing at Saint Ex and at Policy, both of which had great music. Saint Ex in particular was wonderful because of the liberal sprinklings of late 90s rap and jock jams, and Policy was most enjoyable thanks to the vigorous music ADD of the DJ (some people might not appreciate this, but I certainly did). I came home with exhausted feet and a happy neshama.

I think Halloween has just moved up in the holiday-rankings.

1 comment:

Janae Holmes said...

I am super excited for the following reasons.
1. That you have a fun fun blog
2. That you enjoyed the potluck
3. And most importantly, that Halloween has moved up in your holiday list!